Saturday, November 12, 2011

Indian Railways - Sleeper Class

I was reading one interesting blog post about Indian railways and wanted to share my views and experiences as well on the topic which I think every Indian must have experienced in his/her life. I have traveled many times in the Sleeper class of Indian railways and truly it is a place to be. So much of stuff happens here that people remember it for a long time. I will not narrate my one journey but will share the experiences from different journeys.

Once when I was going to my parent's native place, I have seen two luggage bogies moving on one track without any engine. I was around 12 or 13 at that time but still remember that because this thing in itself is unbelievable. Now people started discussing this in the compartment in which I was traveling. One uncle ji said that there might be some engine pushed them and now they are on their own. I don't know what would have happened at that time.

I often use to travel to Maharashtra from Goa Express and we have a group of known families traveling together. So lot of my friends use to travel together. The first thing that we use check out is the reservation charts of our compartments and find out the girls names and their ages. When we find any girl of our age, we become so happy as if we have found girl friend. So as everybody settles down, we start checking out other compartments and the pantry car where we make one friend from the pantry staff and use to eat there only.

Once I was coming from Secundrabad from AP Express after giving my ICFAI interview, I found a whole college group who have also involvee me with them because my seat is with them. So they use to tell each other something in Telugu and then I have to always ask what is it all about. And there is a girl in the group who has kind of liked me. I showed her the tunnels from the gate. When I was about to get down from the train at Nizamuddin railway station, I heard the voice in Telugu talking about taking a phone number. I just smiled at her as she was kind of shy.

Now I prefer traveling in AC coaches as there are few responsibilities on me, I miss those sleeper class traveling. Now you will find girls busy in their laptops and phones singing songs or watching movies. In these coaches nobody would make even eye contact with you. I found these journeys very boring.

2 comments:

Tripthi Battapadi said...

Yeah, I prefer those sleeper class too.
Few times, I have travelled in those Ac classes..
Really annoying. Windows all shut.. and all silent.
Journey gets all boring.

Varun said...

yeah true...sleeper class is a place to hang out during journeys