Thursday, April 26, 2012

Traveling Websites in India - Dirty Business

There are lots of online traveling websites in India and most common among them are makemytrip.com and yatra.com. I was planning to go to Leh (Ladakh) and visited these websites. I found a deal which sounded reasonable and suits my plans. When I tried to book these deals, the executive told me that prices are increased. Now how the hell you can do this. You have mentioned the price and the validity of that price on your website and when customer wanted to book the deal, you say that prices are increased. This has happened both in yatra.com and makemytrip.com.


Tell me if such things happened to others as well. I have also come across an article which mentions that these traveling websites (yatra.com and makemytrip.com) increase the prices of flights tickets when you are in the process of booking the tickets. Here is the link. You will find the tickets at certain prices but when you start to book the ticket, the price gets increased. May be they use some technology to track the request from a IP address and then when they find person is going to book the ticket, they show the inflated prices.

I don't know why they write this sentence "The rates are subject to change with the seats availability. You need to confirm the package ASAP". When you are writing on your website that this price is valid for certain period, how can you change the price. If there is any regulatory authority maybe IATA then they need to be more strict in approving these websites to conduct business in India. I find it completely unethical. I have a proper mails which can prove such things.

1 comment:

Shalu Sharma said...

I agree there are many sites and many of them are pretty useless.