Sunday, September 19, 2010

Google and Skype - Internet Telephony Competition

I am writing this post from the user experience point of view. Currently Skype is used worldwide to talk to people on their phones through internet. Now few days back Google announced its entry into the internet telephony market by integrating this feature on its google mail. Though this is a big step but I am unsure whether they will provide good service or not. I have not tested it as I am sitting in India and it is not possible from here. But I am positive that it will be a good service. However, there are some doubts in my mind about google service as compared to skype.

1. Skype has its team fully working on only this product and always trying to make it better whereas google by integrating this feature in google mail has always have to keep in mind that the mail service do not get affected by this. So there lies a focus problem.

2. I am using both skype and google mail and chat. I have noticed that skype keeps me login even in very low bandwidth whereas I see google chat disabled due to low bandwidth. In India, this problem arises very frequently.

The only feature where google is ahead of skype is that by integrating this feature in google mail, people does not need to go anywhere other than google. They will be having access to their mails, chats and now internet telephony in only one window.

No comments: